Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Trey Songz Clears Up R. Kelly Confusion, "I Felt He Was Trying To Be Like These Young Boys"

News: Trey Songz Clears Up R. Kelly Confusion, "I Felt He Was Trying To Be Like These Young Boys"
Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 5:25PM

Written by Rosario Harper


R&B singer Trey Songz has cleared up past statements about R. Kelly and promised fans that he has never deliberately tried to diss the renowned performer.

According to Songz, he felt Kelly has tried to maintain a young look.

"I'm just saying I wish he would be as innovative as he was," Songz told radio veteran Ed Lover. "Not even to say to make the same music because to say a person shouldn't change is nonsense, even grass grows. So what I was saying about who I feel is the king of R&B is that he was following trends rather than setting them, and not that he should even have to set them. But just be the leader that he is I felt as though he was trying to be like these young boys." ("The Ed Lover Show")
Last month, he said Kelly has always been one of his favorite singers.

"Before I was even thinking to pursue music I would only listen to R. Kelly," he explained in an interview. "That comes from me studying his music. Sometimes our tones are similar and sometimes the inflections I make with my voice is something that he would do, just because it's my subconscious. And that's not something that I try to do, it's just something that is just there. To be compared to who I feel is the King of R&B has never been an insult. I've been compared to R. Kelly since my first album...[a collaboration,] most definitely. Now that would be a track worth 12 plays. Not sure if there is enough room for Trey, Kellz, and his mojo, though." (Honey Mag)
Songz also spoke on his displeasure in hearing auto-tune on Kelly's records in the past.

"It wasn't a beef," Trey smiled in an interview. "It was me telling R. Kelly to take the d*mn Auto-Tune off his voice, which he did on his album. His album is good. I'm trying to make sure I have an album out ASAP. I ain't gonna tell you how soon, though. It's not gonna be two years. I wanna use the same recipe I've been using..." (MTV)
Songz expressed his issues with Kells in a blog posting last summer.

"When I heard Jay-Z's "Death of Autotune" my first thought was when will R. Kelly stop using it," he wrote. "The King of R&B with a autotune filled mixtape (not to mention a auto tuned "Double Up" album) disappoints me. If throwing rocks at the throne wakes up the King, consider them thrown. I just want R. Kelly back.." (SOHH Soulful)

From SOHH.com

http://www.sohh.com/2010/01/trey_songz_clears_up_r_kelly_confusion_i.html

No comments:

Post a Comment