Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lola Monroe Retires From Video Vixen Shoots, "It [Is] Hard For People To Really Take Me In As An Artist"

News: Lola Monroe Retires From Video Vixen Shoots, "It [Is] Hard For People To Really Take Me In As An Artist"
Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 4:45PM

Written by Biz Jones


Video vixen turned rapper Lola Monroe has decided to end her career in exotic photo shoots and revealing music videos to focus on music.

According to Monroe, her focus is primarily on advancing her rap career.

"I'm not doing that anymore," she revealed in an interview. "I'm not doing videos, unless it's a cameo. No magazine shoots, unless it's promoting my music. It helps, kind of, but it also became an obstacle. It helped me brand my name and get my name out there, but at the same time, with the visuals, the sexy pictures, me being known as a model made it hard for people to really take me in as an artist. It's like a gift and a curse." (The Washington Post)
The rapper recently took on comparisons to female emcee Nicki Minaj.

"I don't do the Barbie thing -- that's her thing," LoLa said in an interview. "I really don't agree with it, that's basic. It doesn't make sense to me because first off, you're basically saying I'm jacking somebody who has never been known to have their style all throughout their career. She's never been set to have her own style. It's always been set to say she's jacking Lil' Kim to Foxy [Brown] and now Lil Wayne. So how can I be jacking somebody or using somebody's style if they never been known to have their own style. That part never made sense. That's one." (All Hip Hop)
LoLa also explained why she is often compared to Minaj despite having a different style of music than her.

"She does her own thing and I'm in my own lane, also," LoLa said in an interview earlier this year. "Our music is different, we talk about two different things. So I think it's just the fact that it's us in the game -- it's just a few female rappers in the game right now that are really out there with their music so that plays a major part in the comparison." (Real Talk NY)
The rapper's career was jump started through photography.

Lola Monroe was discovered in DC by professional photographer and CEO of Style Elite Talent Agency; Mike Styles. After the initial photo shoot, Mike submitted her pictures to many magazines. She eventually landed on the cover of a major magazine and received a full spread in another. Mike and business partner Michelle Vieyra both worked hard to push along Lola's career. After further success of the agency, Mike and Michele decided that Michelle should handle the management of Lola's modeling career. (Lola-Luv)

From SOHH.com

http://www.sohh.com/2010/01/lola_monroe_retires_from_video_vixen_sho.html

No comments:

Post a Comment